Home > Other Places To Visit In Scotland >
Ossian's Hall History and information about Ossian's Hall and cave near Dunkeld in Perthshire which is owned by the NTS Scotland with photographs
This was built by the Duke of Atholl as a romantic Georgian Folly in the 18th century. It originally had mirrors on the walls and ceilings to reflect the Black Linn Waterfall. This gave the optical illusion of water flowing in 360 degrees.
Follow us on: Instagram
They would visit this summerhouse from their nearby home of Dunkeld House, which no longer exists. Sadly the mirrors are now gone, though mirror glass paintings adorn the walls and it gives views down to the Black Linn Waterfall.
It is a popular place for private weddings and on the day we visited the bride arrived in style in this wonderful former US Army truck:
Save 10% off the closest car parking to the terminal at
Aberdeen International Airport
with flexible bookings and no credit card fees for long or short stay. Use discount code ABZPARK10 or follow the link below where it will be automatically applied:
This stone vault was created in 1760 in memory of the blind Scottish poet Ossian. The third Earl of Breadalbane wanted a hermit to reside here but no-one wanted to, though in 1869 Donald Anderson did dress up with a long beard made out of lichens and he wore animal skins.
The area is called The Hermitage
and makes a lovely walk. More local places to visit include the Pass of Killiecrankie Walk
, Queen's View
, Falls of Bruar
, Rannoch Moor Train Station
, Blair Castle and Diana Grove with Hercules Garden
, Atholl Country Life Museum
, Dunkeld Cathedral
, Beatrix Potter Garden
, Loch of Lowes Osprey
and the Scottish Crannog Centre
More Scottish Tourist Attractions
For somewhere local to stay try the Pitlochry Hydro Hotel