Home > Famous Aberdonians >
Biography Of Anne Begg
Biography Of Anne Begg
was born in 1955 in Brechin, Angus.
Anne attended Aberdeen University and attained a degree in History and Politics.
From 1978 she taught English and History in Kirriemuir.
Anne was actively involved in the teaching union, Educational Institute of Scotland (EIS) and was an elected member to The General Teaching Council for Scotland.
Follow us on: Instagram
In 2011 Anne Begg was made a Dame for her charity work in the New Year's Honours.
In 1988 Anne Begg was awarded Disabled Scot of the Year.
Until 1997 she was Principal Teacher of English at Arbroath Academy.
Anne was diagnosed with the genetic condition Gauchers Disease at birth which is an inherited, enzyme deficiency, disorder which causes tiredness due to anaemia, pain in the bones, a susceptibility to bleeding, bruising and broken bones. More information can be found at the official Gaucher website at www.gaucher.org.uk
The disease has meant that Anne has used a wheelchair since 1984.
Political Career Of MP Anne Begg
Anne Begg joined the Labour Party in 1983 taking an interest in local politics.
On the 1 May 1997 Anne Begg was elected Labour MP for Aberdeen South and has represented the constituent since. Aberdeen South covers the areas of Cove, Nigg, Kincorth, Torry south of the river Dee and north of the Dee, Ferryhill, Airyhall, Mannofield, Garthdee, Ruthriston, Langstane, Gilcomston, part of Rosemount, Queens Cross, Hazlehead, Cults, Milltimber, Bieldside and Peterculter.
Her maiden speech at the House of Common was in a debate on the Referendum Bill for a Scottish Parliament, part of which features in the video Great Parliamentary Speeches.
Anne takes an active interest in education and disability issues as well as representing her elective constituents on a wide range of issues. She firmly believes that disabled people should not be excluded from society and has brought issues such as campaigning to ban genetic testing to Parliament.
Political Interests Of MP Anne Begg
- Anne was a founder member of Angus Access Panel and continues to campaign for civil rights for disabled people.
- Patron of the National Federation of Shopmobility.
- Patron of the Scottish Motor Neurone Disease Society.
- Patron of the Angus Special Play Scheme.
- President of the Blue Badge Network.
- Member of the House of Commons Chairmen's Panel.
- Member of the Work and Pensions Select Committee.
- Chair of the All Party Endometriosis Group.
- Secretary of the BBC Group.
- Member of the Oil and Gas Industry Group.
- Fellow of the Industry and Parliament Trust having undertaken a placement with the oil company Chevron.
- Secretary of the Parliamentary branch of the Educational Institute of Scotland (EIS).
The Flying Scotswoman
As part of the BBC's Video Diary series Anne Begg appeared in a television programme covering her first months of Parliamentary life. You can watch the TV programme on your PC by going to Anne's website at www.annebegg.info
and click on About Anne to see a drop down menu to The Flying Scotswoman link.
Political Issues Anne Begg Is Actively Campaigning On
Recently Anne has campaigned on the following issues:
- To the Chancellor to build the new National Institute of Energy Technologies centre in Aberdeen.
- Signed a motion in the House of Commons condemning the 13% pay gap between men and women working full time in the UK.
- Pledged support to the "Are we taking the Dis?" campaign.
- Campaigned against the closure of the Aberdeen Met Office.
For up to date news about Anne Begg read her RSS Feed at her website
Contact Address And Telephone Number For Anne Begg Aberdeen South MP
Anne Begg MP
North Esplanade West
Tel: (01224) 252704
Home Page: www.annebegg.info
E-mail: there is a contact E-mail address on Anne's website. Her website was nominated in 2006 for the New Statesman New Media Award. The competition was set up by the magazine to recognise the way in which technology has influenced society, government and democracy. The awards were set up to recognise education, accessibility and innovation in web design. Miss Begg has been nominated in the elected representative classification.
Anne Begg MP holds surgeries every Friday afternoon for Aberdeen South constituents in her office. To make an appointment to see Anne please call 01224 252704 between 10am and 5pm or e-mail her via her website
More famous Aberdonians
My new emotive, suspenseful Aberdeen crime novel is Buried in Grief.
What if the loss of a child was not every parent's worst nightmare?
Hamish and Alison wake to some awful news from the police banging at their door, but what if their trauma was only just beginning?
Read how this couple cope with their grief through to a terrifying ending.
Available in Paperback or Kindle and other devices.
Read the Opening Chapter for Free.
Advertise Here from just £20.
Oor Wullie Big Bucket Trial Aberdeen